Nemeth/Star Productions - Picture Gallery

Legal Notice      Privacy      © Nemeth/Star Productions 2024

The first Chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Mt.Carmel was built in 1858 by the confraternity of Our Lady Mt. Carmel. Over the years the chapel had to be enlarged several times to serve the spiritual needs of the increasing population of neighborhood. In 1890 the chapel was entrusted to the care of the Carmelite Friars who built a priory annexed to the church. The construction of the present pseudo-gothic church was commenced in 1958 around the former chapel. The construction work was finished in 1978. The church was consecrated by the Archbishop of Malta in 1984. The wooden Neapolitan Baroque statue of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel was brought to Malta from Naples in 1780. On the last Sunday of July, this Statue is carried shoulder high around the main streets of Balluta. The oil paintings by the contemporary Maltese artist Harry Aiden depict Carmelite saints and some other saints. The stained glass windows in the choir represent the glory of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. These were manufactured in Italy by the firm Giuliani. Source: Malta Heritage Don’t forget to like and comment. Follow us and leave your feedback on