The Kaiser Wilhelm Bridge connects the beach (Südstrandpromenade) with the South Quarter.
Construction began in 1905, and at its completion in 1907 it was Europe's longest swing bridge. The design scheme was created by Ernst Troschel, construction was executed by MAN Nuremberg.
The bridge has a length of 159 metres (522 ft)and a width of 8 m. The two pillars are 20.4 m tall. The maximum passage height is 9.00 m at + 1.10 m medium water-level in the harbour, the passage width is 58.60 m.
On the bridge the road traffic can only drive one way at the same time. It is controlled by traffic lights.
More information about racism and colonialism in the German Kaiserreich here (German):