We are back where we started. 3 years ago this wonderful Picture show #RightNow was born and finally we are back at the place where everything begun. Welcome back to Berlin!!! With 2 fresh episodes that are the 107th and 108th episode of #RightNow. To celebrate this special event we will publish these episodes also in our Twitter Fleets and Instagram Story.
Our first destination is located in the heart of Berlin. The world famous Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche with the Zoopalast (Zoo palace) at the Breitscheidplatz.
Zoo Palast is a cinema in the western center of Berlin in the Charlottenburg district. The cinema in Hardenbergstraße currently belongs to Premium Entertainment GmbH. The business was rebuilt and reopened on November 27, 2013. The exhibition halls at the zoo, where the first Berlin Six-Day Race was held in 1909, previously stood on the same site. A cinema was subsequently built there, where films were shown as early as 1915 and which was originally called the “Palasttheater am Zoo”. In 1925, the Palasttheater am Zoo was taken over by UFA and remodeled. A majority of German film works premiered here, e.g. Metropolis in 1927. The cinema had its own orchestra, ballet and cinema organ. During the National Socialist era, the Palasttheater am Zoo was to be extensively rebuilt according to plans by Albert Speer; however, these renovations never took place. During World War II, the Palasttheater am Zoo was almost completely destroyed in an air raid in 1943 and finally demolished in 1955. Today’s Zoo Palast was built in 1956/1957 according to plans by architects Paul Schwebes, Hans Schoszberger and Gerhard Fritsche and opened on May 28, 1957. he world famous Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtniskirche with the Zoopalast (Zoo palace) at the Breitscheidplatz.
Breitscheidplatz experienced its darkest day on the evening of December 19, 2016, when an Islamist terrorist drove a tractor-trailer into a crowd of people at the Christmas market. As a result, 12 people died and 55 were injured. The names of the victims are engraved on the steps in front of the Memorial Church. Today, access to the square is protected by heightened stone bollards.
The Lutheran Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is a monument on Breitscheidplatz in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin. It was commissioned by Emperor Wilhelm II to commemorate his grandfather, Emperor Wilhelm I, and built between 1891-1895 by Franz Schwechten in the neo-Romanesque style. Its steeple, at 113 meters, was the tallest in the city at the time. During World War II, the Memorial Church was severely damaged in 1943. After a dispute over reconstruction, agreement was reached to demolish the nave, preserve the 71-meter-high ruined tower as a memorial against the war, and build a new four-part ensemble of buildings. This was built in 1959-1963 by Egon Eiermann in the modernist style and consists of the nave, the steeple, the chapel and the foyer. The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church is one of the most famous landmarks of Berlin’s West and the most popular sights of the German capital. The ruined tower has housed a memorial hall since 1987.
Breitscheidplatz is located in the Charlottenburg district of Berlin (Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf district) between Kurfürstendamm, Budapester Straße and Tauentzienstraße. It is a central square in the City West. It is one of the most famous squares in Berlin, not least because of the war ruins of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, which have been preserved as a memorial.